Monday, June 04, 2018

Second Hand Tools and Hardware

I recently started renovating my Grandfather's tool chest which he used while working as a Ship's Joiner in the Edinburgh Shipyards from about WW1 to the 1950's.  In the process I (re-)learned a lot about hand tools by researching on the web and looking at local organisations in Melbourne, Australia such as the Hand Tool Preservation Association of Australia (HTPAA).

Another great resource I discovered is a little shop in Malvern called the Patra Hardware and Secondhand Tools.  A treasure trove of secondhand and recycled tools and hardware which reminds me of the hardware stores of my youth.  You can find almost anything here including vintage screws, nails, hinges, locks etc, etc.  I recently picked up a coping saw, made in England, and a set of blades made in West Germany which will fit right in with Grandad's vintage tools.



Address: 13 Station St, Malvern VIC 3144
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 5:30PM
Tuesday9:30am–5:30pm
Wednesday9:30am–5:30pm
Thursday9:30am–5:30pm
Friday9:30am–5:30pm
SaturdayClosed
SundayClosed
Monday
(Queen's Birthday)
9:30am–5:30pm
Hours might differ
Suggest an edit
Phone: (03) 9509 0552
 
If you live in Melbourne and you work with hand or power tools I suggest you give Patra Hardware and Secondhand Tools a call.
 
 
 

No comments: